Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Proton Persona Review


Yeay. Finally got my Persona yesterday after one and a half months waiting. First of all, this would be my first "First-hand" car bought in my whole life and now I realize why people don't want to buy Proton cars. Have a lots to say bout it, but I'll go through 1 by 1.

1. Dealership: The dealer sucks, maybe I choose the wrong dealer but compared to other auto makers, they don't walk the talk. The car delivery and service is lousy. Once they get the deposit of RM500, they try to avoid you and make up a lot of reasons here and there. If you want to buy Proton car, my advise is to go to Proton Edar (not EON, no, never) and ask around about the dealer's performance. The non-performance dealer will frustrate customers hence creating bad reputation of Proton.

2. Car Overal Condition: The delivered condition is satisfied with a minor scratch at some obvious parts. Complained it to the dealer and they promised to polish the car during my first 1000km service (yet another promise) and I think the scratchs can be removed. Other than that, everything looks and feels like as what is shown in the showrooms. Door panel, interior, seat and space gives me a whole new experience and no more plastic feel as per Gen2's. The only thing I don't agree is the steering which is not so solid and its like doesn't match with the interior.

3. Car Performance: Yet to be fully tested because afraid to do so before the first service. But manage to drive at highway up to 130km/h and the rpm meter is slightly above 3200. I suppose it can go up to 160km/h @ 4000rpm. The pick-up was great and Proton had really tuned up and upgrade the automatic TCS. Some time when I want to accelerate, the rev will go up quickly and really gives me the power especially during overtaking.

4. Comfort: Sound insulation was very good. They've change the side mirror design which is the main contributor of sound leak into the driver's compartment. My only frustration is that the car makes a "purring" sound (sounds like a metal sheet vibrating in the engine compartment) when I turn on the air conditioning. I don't know where it went wrong but for sure I'll ask the mechanics to rectify it during the first service. Else, air conditioning was perfect. I had to lower the temperature because I was freezing although the air flow is at its lowest. During my drive back to home last nite with my wife (aka joy ride in the new car), my wife can sleep soundly at the passenger side although Malaysian road as we all know is very very bumpy and rough. Finally, I would like to congratulate Lotus-Proton for its comfortable and responsive handling.

5. Space: At first I thought Persona will be smaller than Waja in terms of its driver's and passenger's space. For me being XXL size, Persona offers a good deal for those who can not buy small car like Perodua Kelisa or Daihatsu Mira or Mini Cooper. The legroom is ample, width is good, height is great and luggage compartment is huge. I'm still thinking wheter or not to put a 12" speaker box in it but of course now I can carry my golf bag anywhere I want. ;-) wink2.

6. Sound System: I am a music lover and my "previous car" (poor Satria now called such name) was installed and equipped with Sony MP3 Player, Amplifier, Speakers and Bass Box for maximum audio experience. For this car, the standard package for me is good. The only downside is that I have to use the FM transmitter for my IPOD and play it through radio's FM frequency which ends up lowering the sound quality whereas in my "previous car" I just have to plug in the Auxiliary-to-headphone connector and listen to great music instantly.

I would say that my overall review would be 8.5/10. The only things left are to install proper audio system and put some skirting around the car. Other than that, I am really satisfied with the whole package and thank god I made the right decision to buy the Persona. Initially I want a Honda City, but I think Persona suits me well and its Value for Money.

It's better to buy expensive properties which will appreciate rather than expensive cars which will depreciate......

5 comments:

  1. Good for you bro. Try pimping your car a bit :D

    I plan to changed my car but then again, it's useless as my current car is still usable.

    Yes, property is always better than cars. the car value drops as soon as you bring it out of the shop :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeahh. totally. Of course my car will go through a lot of pimping. well for you better use your car if its still usable. btw so boring today..and hungry..

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I ask are u having a H-Line or M-Line or B-Line?

    I heard the sound insulation will be different for different line, is it true??

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just received my persona last week after waiting for about 2 months. i do agree wit u that the dealership sucks! once they got our RM500, they kept giving excuses... this is really a bad reps for proton who supposed to be going a 'transitional' process into a better company...

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry for not replying earlier as the site has moved to a new one..please visit 2wentysix.com..Im updating it every now and then..thanks for agreeing with me..now i had several problem with my persona..power widow..aircond..i tought they had changed but it seems that they still don't

    ReplyDelete